Monday, April 19, 2010

First home!


On March 31, we closed on our first house. It's a 1954 ranch (with an early 1990s addition, that looks like it was designed in the late 1970s). It is in good condition structurally--the last owners put their money into important things like insulation and seplacing the original signle-paned windows with double-paned. That's just what we were looking for in a house. The cosmetics need some updating, but that allows us to put our time and money into customizing a house that really meets our needs and tastes--instead of paying to buy someone else's idea of an attractive home.


My husband, P, is an accomplished woodworker, and generally handy guy. He's helped family members improve their homes, and is eager to start work on ours!


I come from a family that's generally mystified when it comes to mechanical things. The second time I took P home to meet my family, he and my father went out to spend some quality time with the chainsaw. Half an hour later, they were back at the house, announcing, "The chainsaw broke." My mother and I nodded. That was our chainsaw's usual state.


"So we're here to get tools so we can fix it," declared P.


Mom and I nodded, and as soon as the men left the room, she looked at me and said, "Well, those are words that have never been uttered in our house." And what do you know, fifteen minutes later we once again heard the sounds of chainsawing coming from the other side of the yard.


The next time P visited, he fixed the dishwasher so it no longer made annoying noises. My mother declared him her adopted son.


All of this is to say, that I'm working on learning how to do more renovation work myself. Still, my default state is, when the going gets hard, to wait for P to come over and turn the job over to him. Unfortunately, his to-do list is now months long.


Anyway, we've been busy in the nearly three weeks since we closed on the house. More on that in the next post!

No comments: