Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bathroom paint color

Since P worked his magic and installed the bathroom floor--the floor we selected on a whim--it was time for me to stop agonizing and just select a paint color already.

I decided, based on some advice from my loyal blog readership (hi, Dad!), that it wouldn't create too much gray in the house if I painted the bathroom gray, as well.  Plus I couldn't think of anything else that would work.  My concern over choosing a color that would flatter our skin tones has only built over the past month of using the hall bath.  P was looking at himself in the mirror a few weeks ago, and said, "I look terrible!  Or is it the light?"   Yeah, it was the light reflecting off the paint in there.  (Since we rarely use that bathroom when the master is functioning, I didn't take "flattering" into account when selecting the paint, and was duped into "pretty.")

I got two paint testers: Behr's Dolphin Fin and Benjamin Moore's Horizon.  I was looking for a gray with warm undertones; nothing too blue. 

Dolphin Fin is on top, and Horizon is on the bottom:


Wait, you don't see a color on the bottom?  Try here:


I decided Dolphin Fin was too taupe.  Initially I thought Horizon too light.  I've painted dozens of test swatches on the walls of our house, and that's the first time that's happened!  Then I decided, despite my rant last week about people using off white colors, that it just might work.  Paired with crisp white baseboard and ceiling, I think (I hope!) that it will read as a light gray, rather than a dirty white.

Plus I'm always more adventurous in a bathroom--they're so small, the stakes seem lower.  Though this one has some much detailed cutting in work to do, I doubt I'll ever want to paint it again!  There's less than 1/2" of clearance between the frames of the bedroom and closet doors--still haven't figured out how I'm going to get a paintbrush in there!

No comments: