Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bits and Pieces

P and I have spent the last few weekends working on little niggling projects.  Tying up loose ends of projects, like caulking the nailholes in baseboard molding.  And doing the kinds of projects that seemed too small to really warrant our attention before.

We're getting a little cranky at each other, because we both feel like we should be moving ahead on much larger, more significant projects--but can't agree on what those are, how to proceed, or in what order. 

That said, we're also really glad we stepped back and took some time to deal with these little things.  They don't make for very dramatic blog posts, but they make an enormous difference in how the house feels to us. 

We have three small, linen-type closets in the house--one in the hall, and one in each bathroom.  We had taken down the shelving in each of these months ago, and it was finally time to put up some replacement shelves, so we could actually put some things away in the closets.

I wanted to go with the wire shelves that you hang on the tracks, so that I could easily adjust the shelf spacing whenever my storage needs changed.  P hung those in the master bath closet for me:


We were unimpressed, though, by the shelving.  It's fine for holding lighter items like toilet paper, but we weren't sure how it would stand up to lots of heavy paint cans. 

So plan B: use the tracks and brackets in the hall and hall bath closets, but put plywood shelving on the brackets (instead of wire). 

Plan B didn't last long: when P started knocking around our closets, looking for the studs, he decided they were in inconvenient places for hanging the track.  So Plan C: back to the old "nail a board into the side of the closet, and support a shelf on it" style of shelving.  Ironically, this is what we had before I made Paul take all the support boards out of the closets back in, oh, May or something.  Oops.



All this thinking about closets got me thinking about closet doors.  Which we took off in April for the floor refinishing, and never put back up.  So I slapped some white paint on the doors, got some new knobs, and up they went!  It's funny--I actually don't particularly like having doors on the closets, at least from a practical perspective.  It's a lot easier to put an armload of things into the closet without having to fumble for a doorknob.  But they make the house look so, well, finished!  It's a nice feeling.

At least for a few weeks, before we start knocking down walls.  ;-)


While I was on a roll with the doors, I also painted and put a new knob on the guest room door.  Much better than before, right?


The one dilemma here was what to do with the master bathroom closet door.  It still smelled faintly of that old-lady smell that began the whole bathroom gutting project in the first place.  It was a "put your nose right on the door and inhale deeply and think about it" kind of faint smell, but we were concerned that once the closet was closed up again, the smell would magnify and permeate.  But all the doors and trim in that part of the house are stained wood, so I feared that painting this one with Kilz would start a cascade of painting everything else to match. 

So P scuff sanded it and threw a coat of polycrylic on it.  I was skeptical, but I have to say, it turned out well!


You can see that the finish has been sanded away if you really look at the edges and corners--but it's the inside of a closet, and really, it doesn't bother me.  Important part: no more smell!

1 comment:

Marie said...

I am so impressed with the work you are doing. If I had a camera that I knew how to use, I would take a photo of our new, improved guest room. I hung curtains and pictures and am just about done. Same room, new feel. I think it is time to invite P's parents for another visit. They won't recognize the place.