Monday, November 8, 2010

DIY madness

P recently went three months between haircuts, and was starting to get a little shaggy:

Since we moved back in February, we haven''t been able to find a place for him to get a decent haircut.  Granted we haven't tried too hard--every time we end up a the local Wal-Mart, even though it disappointed us last time.

P got tired of spending $15 for a haircut he didn't like.  And when he found out that his sister cuts her husband's hair herself, he decided I should do the same for him.

Thus ensued weeks of back and forth arguing, where I insisted that: 1. I had no training, 2. I had no skill, and 3. I had no inherent "eye" for hair.  Seriously--I have no artistic streak whatsoever.  Plus, his hair's tricky!  He's go a cow-lick in a very unfortunate location, that makes it hard to shape the hair on the back of his head just right.

P argued, somewhat convincingly, that what I lacked in skill I made up for in emotional involvement--I care what he looks like.  But what really won the argument for him was sheer stubbornness--I realized that if I didn't cut his hair myself, it wasn't getting done any other way.  And eventually anything I did was going to be preferable to his shaggy mop.

Plus I made him promise, over and over, that he would be okay walking around with a shaved head because I had screwed up his hair beyond repair.

P ordered himself some scissors and a trimmer, and I reviewed pictures of what he was supposed to look like--it had been so long since I had seen him with a good haircut!  Luckily, one of the best he ever received was for our wedding, so it had been well-documented:



And the haircut ended up being something of a team effort:


P was pretty pleased with the results:
























According to him, it's "not the worst haircut I've ever received."  Since it was the first one I ever gave, I'll take that as a compliment.

Good thing it worked out, too--we've got another 5 or 6 to go before we break even financially, what with buying the trimmer and scissors.

2 comments:

Marie said...

OK - now I am really impressed. Perhaps you got this skill from Grammy. Now P needs to give you a trim!
Mom

Julie Shilane said...

Phil and I decided to open up the home barbershop years ago. Actually, I talked Phil into cutting my hair back before we got married, since it's just a simple straight across cut. I've only ever had my hair cut professionally once, and I hated it. It started to get too difficult getting my mom to cut it, so Phil trims or cuts mine a couple of times a year. We decided to wait until after our wedding for me to take over cutting Phil's hair. We did the math too and decided that after just a couple of hair cuts, the clippers would pay for themselves. Not to mention, Phil liked that he could get a cut any time he wanted - actually he's already booked an appointment for later today.