Friday, April 29, 2011

Happy Arbor Day!

P and I celebrated by planting our new black mission fig tree.



Not much to look at now, but hopefully some day (many, many years from now) we'll have fruit!

That is, if it's alive by then.  Some people would recommend wrapping it for the winter and generally babying it in our climate.  I have more of a devil-may-care attitude when it comes to such recommendations.  I've planted it on the west side of our house, where it's nice and hot and sunny, but otherwise, no special treatment from me.  We'll see how it goes. 

You can ask my calla lilies what they think of the policy--you're supposed to dig them up each fall and properly store the bulbs away from frost.  I leave them in the ground, and what do you know, they've not only lived, but multiplied!

No comments: