Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I rocked the zipper

Every other month, my modern quilting guild does a swap: each person (who wants to participate) makes a particular item.  Then we throw them all in a pile in the middle of the table and draw names.

This month was zipper pouches.  There were several linked patterns as resources, but each person chose their own pattern.  It was fun to see what people came up with--no two used the same pattern.

I used this tutorial (but didn't do the striped piecing) and some sewing themed fabrics to make this:



I'm pretty darn proud of how it turned out and how quickly it came together.  I might be over my fear of zippers.
There's one other woman in the group who always seems to be just a few projects ahead of me--as in, she'll bring in a completed quilt for show and tell, and I'll exclaim, "I just started cutting the fabric for exactly that same pattern!"  And as the luck of the draw would have it, she drew my pouch and I drew hers.


I think she used this tutorial from Noodlehead--not because we discussed it, but because we look to the same blogs for inspiration.  :-)

She got all ambitious and added pockets to the lining:



I like the zipper jewelry she added--just the kind of detail I would never have thought of.  That's what's fun about these swaps--seeing all of the different ways people interpret the same assignment.


1 comment:

Cindy @The Flipping Couple said...

Wow!! I'm so impressed. My sewing skills are basically non-existent, so I'm totally in awe of a project like that. Nice work!!